The Oak Park Conservatory began as a community effort in Oak Park, IL to provide a place to house exotic plants that local Oak Park and Chicagoan residents collected during their travels abroad. The present Edwardian-style glass structure, built in 1929, houses a botanical collection of more than 3,000 plants, some of which date back to the Conservatory’s founding. Expanded grounds include urban gardens including an outside Discovery Garden, a bioswale that collects urban rainwater runoff, native Illinois demonstration gardens and a formal garden and rental space for private events.