The Sister Mary Grace Burns Arboretum includes the landscaped parts of Georgian Court University, the former George Jay Gould estate, now a National Landmark.
The estate includes 4 historic gardens dating from the early 1900s:
• A Formal Garden in the French parterre style, with a center focal piece of a sundial supported by bronze satyrs and 15 small flower beds populated by Dianthus
• A Sunken Garden featuring elaborate twin marble staircases leading down to a brick walkway encircling a lagoon connected to Lake Carasaljo, and a 17th century fountain brought over from France
• The large evergreen Italian Gardens, with an enormous Apollo Fountain sculpted by John Massey Rhind, many old statues, floral urns and a large wrought iron Eagle sculpture from the Paris Exposition of 1900
• A Japanese Garden in the tea garden style, designed by famous Japanese Garden designer Takeo Shiota, that is built around a genuine Japanese tea house from the Anglo-Japanese Exhibition of 1910.
A diverse number of native and exotic trees and several small gardens, including a Wellness Garden featuring over 70 species that have been used historically for medicinal purposes, complement the historic gardens.
As part of a teaching university, the arboretum’s focus is on self-guided tours. Most of the collection in and around the historic gardens is labeled.