Seasonal Garden Assistant
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Watering of new plantings and nursery stock
• Planting seasonal bulbs
• Invasive plant removal
• Planting display beds and native ecosystem restoration
• Weeding, edging, and mulching flower beds
• Trail Maintenance and rebuilding
• Propagation and planting of historic tree specimens
• Pond maintenance
• Integrated Pest management
• Assistance in Horticultural initiatives and programming including Horticultural therapy with varied groups
• Native forest remnant restoration and management
• Ambassador of the Arboretum in a public setting
Education and Experience
• An interest in learning more about the plant world. Some knowledge of plant material and horticulture techniques. No Horticulture education or certification or current class enrollment required.
• Ability to perform heavy, physical labor (lift 50 lbs.) in all weather conditions.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work with volunteers and interact with the public.
• Strong communication skills.
• Valid driver’s license.
• Must be 18 or older.
• Basic knowledge of plant material and horticulture techniques.
o Horticultural or Environmental education or certification will help demonstrate this basic knowledge, OR
o Current enrollment in classes related to these fields
• The ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment, including line trimmers and backpack blowers.
Email a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org