• Directs the fiscal management of San Antonio Botanical Garden. The CFO will work
closely with the Board’s Treasurer in preparing for all Finance Committee and quarterly
board meetings. The CFO serves as liaison to the Treasurer and Finance Committee.
• Provides key support to the CEO in all strategic planning and forecasting projects. The
CFO will assist in the evaluation and modeling of new business opportunities, providing in-
depth operational and financial analysis. The CFO is expected to take a leadership role,
working closely with the CEO, senior staff and Board of Trustees.
• Provides support to the various committees of the Botanical Garden, including Finance,
Audit, Investments, Governance and others. The CFO will also provide support to the
SABG Board of Directors.
• Ensures all accounting functions operate smoothly within established internal controls,
policies and procedures and GAAP. Creates a culture of continuous improvement within
• Supervises, mentors, motivates, assists and evaluates the Finance and Accounting office
staff. Reviews the organizational chart and makes changes as required to ensure office runs
as efficiently as possible.
• Leads the annual budgeting process.
• Oversees complete monthly financial statement process and has overall responsibility for
managing and monitoring revenues, expenses and cash flows. Supervises and assists in
month-end closing of accounting records and is responsible for the accuracy of the general
ledger. Establishes and reviews internal controls to ensure proper segregation of duties
and that the assets of the Botanical Garden are properly safeguarded. Manages banking
relationships, including negotiating terms of the Botanical Garden’s revolving line of credit.
• Manages relationship with the outside accounting firm, including overseeing the annual
audit of the Botanical Garden’s consolidated financial statements. Supports the Finance
Committee for selection of firm for annual audited financial statements. Oversees the
timely filing of all tax returns, corporation documents and related items, in collaboration
with the outside accounting firm.
• Works in partnership with all senior managers at the Botanical Garden to provide timely
data necessary for optimizing operational performance.
• Develops new and modifies existing policies and procedures that ensure the on-going and
• long-term financial health of the organization for consideration and approval of the CEO
and the SABG Board of Directors.
• Ensures compliance with the long-term lease agreement requirements with the City of San
Antonio, and ensures an excellent working relationship with peer city colleagues.
• Negotiates annual insurance contracts and ensures appropriate amounts of general liability
and Director & Officer coverage.
• Oversees establishment of a centralized purchasing function to improve cost, terms and
• Ensures compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
• Assists in managing the endowment fund in conjunction with its Investment policies and
• Effectively tracks and monitors temporarily restricted fund activity, including new grants
and contributions. Maintains close partnership with Development team to maximize
contributed revenue success.
• Interacts well with the Botanical Garden’s major donors and key community partners and
• Completes other projects as assigned by the CEO.
• Maintains professional privacy and confidentiality.
• Works collaboratively with other public gardens, local cultural institutions and museum
• Some weekend, evening and holiday hours as needed.
• Bachelor level degree in accounting, finance or related area. MA or MBA preferred but
• At least ten (10) years relevant experience in accounting and finance.
• Licensed Certified Public Accountant in excellent standing.
• Proven track record in strategic financial management, analysis, budgeting and
• Senior management with excellent supervisory experience in similar sized organization.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent judgement, integrity, dependability, discretion, accuracy and detail-oriented.
• Collaborative and participatory management style (an advocate for the team concept).
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please add in the email subject line Chief Financial Officer.