Natural Lands Stewardship Internship
1. Natural Land Maintenance – Assist in working with environmental projects in fields, streams/ponds, wildlife, and woodland areas.
2. Training – Participate in safety, equipment operation and maintenance training. e.g., Lyme Disease, Back Care and Small Equipment.
3. Equipment Maintenance – Proper cleaning, sharpening, maintenance and storage of job related equipment.
4. Aesthetic/Environmental Stewardship – Acquire an understanding of the history and design intent of the Winterthur Estate. Develop awareness toward the principles of conservation, environmental management and land stewardship, and how these principles shape Winterthur’s landscape management philosophy.
5. Land Resource Evaluation/Inventory – Documenting and exploring new resources.
1. Ability to operate horticultural hand-tools and power equipment safely.
2. Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record.
3. Ability to work with manual shift vehicles/various large and small power equipment–mowers, backpack blower, weed eater, bobcat
4. Ability to stand, kneel, and bend for long periods of time.
5. Able to traverse uneven ground/inclines
6. Work outdoors in all temperatures/conditions and emergency situations
7. Exposure to biting insects, poison ivy, herbicides and fertilizers
8. Able to lift 50 lbs.
9. Have adequate hearing and sight in order to be aware of nearby guests and staff when the employee is using or is around equipment such as mowers, weed-eaters, blowers and sprayers.
Work Schedule: Approximately May 17, 2022 – August 27, 2022; Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 2:30 pm (35 hours/week plus optional 5 extra hours).
Minimum Experience: Enrolled in an accredited conservation, natural resource management program, or related field and has successfully completed 6 months educational and/or field experience in the study of conservation, environmental or related field
Preferred Education: 2 years in an accredited Conservation, Natural Resource Management program, or related field with experience in land stewardship program
1. Ability to execute oral and written directions.
2. Basic knowledge of environmental terminology & practices.
3. Ability to express ideas clearly orally and in writing
4. Good interpersonal skills
5. Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft systems
Qualified applicants may apply by following the link below:
*Application requires cover letter and resume – two letters of recommendation, and your most recent transcript will be required if you are selected for interview.