Turf and Ornamental Technician
1. Turf Management—perform the full range of turf and ground maintenance duties: scheduling, planning, seeding, mowing, weed-eating, trimming, aeration, fertilization, and irrigation on turf grass and field areas throughout the Winterthur estate. Manage contractors in operations of fertilization and maintenance.
2. Operate Equipment—operate full range of grounds and turf maintenance vehicles and equipment including mowers, blowers, tractors, loaders, dump trucks, plow truck, utility trucks, and a variety of hand and power tools. Maintain tools and equipment and perform preventative maintenance on equipment.
3. Horticulture Activities—assist Horticulture staff with all tasks: pruning, mulching, weeding, leaf removal, herbicide application, trash cleanup. Periodic site maintenance in team areas, cleaning furniture and signs. Assist staff with maintaining, moving, and protecting garden ornaments.
4. Documentation—Participate in team/departmental planning and garden documentation. Document all garden changes using Landscape Modification Forms.
5. Programming/Events—Participation in Winterthur/garden events as assigned. Can occur outside of normal working hours.
Minimum Experience: 3+ years of experience in turf or horticulture-related field with a high school diploma
Preferred Experience: 5 years of experience in turf or horticulture-related field with an Associate’s degree in Turf Management or Horticulture-related field.
1. Strong working knowledge of turf and horticultural practices with desire for continued education and collaboration with other institutions
2. Strong working knowledge of large and small power equipment—mowers, backpack blower, weed eater, bobcat
3. Ability to express ideas clearly orally and in writing; good interpersonal skills
4. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite systems
5. Ability to interact with guests in a friendly, informative manner
1. Ability to work with manual shift vehicles/various large and small power equipment—mowers, backpack blower, weed eater, bobcat—and to stand, kneel, and bend for long periods of time
2. Valid Driver’s License free of any moving violations, and ability to successfully complete a Defensive Driving Course
3. Able to traverse uneven ground/inclines
4. Work outdoors in all temperatures/conditions
5. Exposure to biting insects, poison ivy, herbicides, and fertilizers
Qualified applicants are invited to apply by following the link below: